Wednesday, June 06, 2012

"Life in the Gap"

I've met so many young ladies....or known so many for years...who are open to God's will, working at doing something with their lives, and yet live in the doldrums of boredom and loneliness. Where have all the young men gone?

As a five year old with joy and happiness in my heart, nothing to do but make my bed and set the table and wear my pretty little frocks as I cared for my darling baby dolls, I used to long for a life of love and adventure. I would have a dozen children, we would live in a large house, just so, with secret passage ways and several pantries. I would be a wonderful mother and bake cookies all day. We would have tons of horses and have family races, sit on the porch and sings folk songs all evening.
As I grew older, this plan grew wings and developed...small bit of land, extensive gardens, I would work perhaps once every two weeks to bring in some spending money and keep up my skills...have a couple of kids, etc. etc. etc.

Now I am in my third year post-college graduation and I feel that I am in limbo. What's going to happen next? I've got no freakin clue. They don't prepare you for this part of life. Spinsterhood (hopefully temporary) is much more difficult than it looks! You can't stay in side or you go crazy. you can't go out because you've no one to go with. so you sit at home and....and...and what? knit? do more laundry? watch a show? eventually you run out of laundry, dishes, shows, and you read all your books...unless you are me and you keep saving them for a rainy day (which just means you are too lazy).

Only a few weeks ago, 3 girls from church, ages 10-12, asked me how old I was. they were absolutely shocked to hear that I was in my mid 20s "You are really old!!! How come you aren't married yet? my mom had 3 babies when she was your age!"
"Well," I say (buying time), "no man wants me. I'm too weird."
I am greeted by blank stares.

Last week my co-worker paid me a great compliment after watching my interaction with a slightly irritating elementary-school child: "why do you not have like 5 kids? you'd be an awesome mother." It's kinda hard when you only have 23 chromosomes to work with.

My friend, Mary Beth, has a blog entitled "Life in the Gap" and it talks about this gap of child to adult to education and then....?...single life stretching on for eternity.
All we can do is make the most of it. I live my life day to day and attempt to improve myself in the sight of Our Lord. Maybe, if I'm very good, he will show me his will!

No comments:

Post a Comment