Monday, June 03, 2013

Nothing more than feelings...

A friend of mine recently posed the question to me that since she has a child who leans heavily towards feelings and less toward reason, should she not overemphasize the need for reason with this child? Her thoughts were that this is necessary especially since our culture states over and over again "do what you feel. be in line with your feelings." As a heavily inclined feeling person (I tend to think with my feelings as an INFP) I completely rebelled against this idea, as this is largely what my mother attempted to do in me.

As Catholics, we come from a faith tradition that encourages Faith and Works, Faith and Reason, private devotion and public devotion, the past and the future, spiritual and corporal...and she encourages us to strive for balance in these things. I can not bring order to the world by overcompensating for the ills of the world by being the complete reverse. Rather, I can bring order by balancing my life in Christ and changing those around me. Sure, perhaps I am a little too romantic, or a little too hopeful, or too imaginative, or I feel way too much...but while that may be, I can cultivate the thinking/analytical side without completely washing these ideas away.

Is that too hopeful? ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment