Friday, September 21, 2007

No, Daniel. The word is "after," not "dfter."

Homeschooling is a wonderful way to involve the whole family in a real goal: learning. Is it possible to have a bunch of kids, different grades and ages, at actually learn anything? Actually, yes, and in my experience, we seem to have learned alot more than our public and private school counterparts. I remember that learning was actually fun (minus the book reports), and watching others learn is usually hysterical =). Since I'm at school, I miss out on alot of the fun now. Deborah relayed this incident to me a short while back.

"Rachel and I were studying in the living room and Daniel was in the opposite room studying his spelling. He copied all his words on his own, so, naturally, he couldn't read them. We were interupted every minute because he needed us to read him his words. I had just helped him with 'land' and his next word was really hard-'after'. I expected him to come back for help but instead he decided to tackle it on his own. I heard him loudly declare 'DFTER' d-f-t-e-r- Dfter'. Rachel and I looked at each other, we hadn't heard what we thought we had, had we? Then this little voice calls out 'Deborah, what does d-f-t-e-r spell? I tried to tell him it was a-f-t-e-r but nnnoooo...he wrote dfter, it must be dfter and he wanted a definition. It took me 5 minutes to convince him that he had written it wrong. He smiled at me and said, OK deborah. He disappeared into the dining room and 2 seconds later his voice called in 'what was that word again'."

Oh the joy of learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment